Gewandhaus zu Leipzig
Res Severa Verum Gaudium – ‚True joy is a serious thing’: Leipzig’s citizens and their guests from home and abroad can still read this motto, true for more than 250 years, in capital letters below the majestic organ in the concert hall at the Leipzig Gewandhaus. Named after a trading house for cloth and weaving ware traders where the Gewandhaus Orchestra, founded by 16 local merchants in 1743, played during its first years, the current Gewandhaus was opened in heart of Leipzig in 1981 as the third home of the world famous orchestra.
Every year about 600 events for nearly half a million guests are organized in the halls and foyers. This routine, a high degree of professionalism coupled with an advanced service philosophy, along with a well-coordinated team of general, technical and catering staff, make the concert house, rich in tradition, a perfect place for your successful event.
Discover the Gewandhaus zu Leipzig as your premises for classical music, large shows and small tours, for international conferences and regional meetings, for professional congresses, scientific conventions and festive events.
Right in the city centre, on the Augustusplatz
The Large Hall is a concert hall with exceptional acoustic conditions. Designed like an amphitheatre it seats 1,900 guests. The Mendelssohn Hall is a multi-functional hall for up to 498 guests. The foyers have been arranged on three levels. Each of the areas may be used individually.
- Large Hall: 2,500 m², room height up to 35 m, theatre-type setup for 1,900 persons
- Mendelssohn Hall: approx. 500 m², room height up to 8 m, theatre-style setup for 498 persons, classroom setup for 250 persons, round-table setup for approx. 250 persons
- Foyer Schumann Corner: 130 m²
- Foyer Large Hall: approx. 1.200 m²,
- Mendelssohn Foyer: approx. 450 m²,
- All foyers: round-table setup up to 1,000 persons
- Other rooms: Arthur Nikisch Room, choir rehearsal hall, meeting room
- Evening events / dinners
- Congresses, conventions
- Receptions, press conferences, CD productions
- Business presentations
- Limitations of use: During the summer the house will remain closed for a 3-weeks interval. The period of the interval varies according to the vacation period in Saxony.